Thursday, March 1, 2012

Indiana Women's Prison Charity Quilts

I know it has been a very long time since I've written anything. It's funny how things we're initially so passionate about wind up going by the wayside. All of you that know me personally know what a hectic life I lead. The title "The Wanderlust Girl" is full of meaning! It seems I've married a gypsy and we're never in one place for very long. Amazingly enough we've actually been here in Eastern Colorado for more than a year now. A true record for us, believe me.

I've also been hit with some pretty debilitating medical problems in the past 18 months, but am determined to not give in and give up! I just go a lot slower these days and take frequent rest breaks....lol!!! So~ read on and find out what I've been up to lately. It has been a wonderful and enriching experience. It is certainly helping to keep the "I feel sorry for myself" blues away.

I've been busy the past few months making quilts for the Indiana Women's Prison nursery program. I was watching a show on TLC about babies born in prison and allowed to stay with their mothers for up to 18 months. At first, I was very judgemental and skeptical. By the end of the program I was so touched that I knew I just had to do something to make it an even more positive experience for the babies as well as the mothers.

Well, being a crafty kind of gal I decided that I would make the babies their very own quilts that they could take with them when they left with their moms. I just thought about my daughter, Julie, and how she still has her "blankie" and she's now 28!

So, I got on google, found the prison, contacted public relations and the rest is history. I've been busy making quilts for them ever since. It has been a little slow going but so rewarding. My fibro and auto-immune issues have really been acting up but I'm determined that everyone of those babies is going to have their own quilt. My ultimate goal is to wind up with the prison having a surplus so as the babies come along the moms can just pick out whatever quilt they like.

There are only 10 moms/babies at a time on the unit, but I've been told that the turnover can be quite rapid sometimes. I've been working with a wonderful woman at the prison, Tammy Atwood. In fact, she recently forwarded some handmade thank you cards from the women. What a wonderful surprise. I was soooo touched. They were so genuine and thoughtful.

So, here are a few of the quilts that have gone out so far~








Oh... and before I forget! I need to give a huge thank you to my quilting family at www.thequiltingboard.com  for their incredible generosity! I posted that I was making these quilts and asked for any scraps that they might have that would help me make baby quilts and I can't even begin to describe the outpouring of donations that came my way! So thank you EVERYONE!!!

1 comment:

Quilting Stories said...

Very lovely and cheerful quilts!